Contacting an attorney can be a scary thought. It makes you feel like you really are the guilty party. However, this is not always the case. Sometimes, it might be, and you need the advice of an attorney to help you with the legal issues if you have committed a crime. But, the truth is, most of the time, we really are not guilty and we just need a lawyer to prove that for us, unfortunately. This article will hopefully help you determine when and if you should be talking to a lawyer. Obviously, not all legal issues can be addressed here but maybe you are facing something similar to these points.
- If you have been involved in any kind of incident that involved you being arrested, you need a lawyer whether it was wrongful or not. Driving under the influence, white collar crime, fraud, domestic violence or any other accusation of criminal activity are examples of reasons you might be arrested.
- You need to call a lawyer if you have been hurt by someone else, whether on accident or on purpose. This could be either a house that ended having mold that caused you to get sick, a car accident or a fight. Also, if you were the one that caused the harm, call.
- Contracts need lawyers. If you are needing to sign a long term contract or if there is a lot of money involved in a home, a business, an estate, an invention, anything; a lawyer really should be involved to look over the contract before you sign and ensure that it is in your best interest.
- When someone passes a way, an attorney will be able to help you get their legal issues in order. You may need to go through their estate or taxes and there are things that need to be filed on their behalf.
- Divorce requires not only an expert but at times, a mediator. The splitting of assets can be a messy and upsetting ordeal but a lawyer can act as a go between on your behalf so that everything stays civilized and fair, especially if there are children involved. A lawyer needs to know everything- whether there was adultery on either part or domestic violence, that sort of thing.
Not all legal issues require a lawyer but having one will uncomplicate your problem. Attorneys know how to properly file court documents and all legal proceedings necessary to help you. They also know how to challenge any evidence placed against you. Leave the work to the professionals; chances are, if you are in a place where you need to hire a lawyer, you have enough to stress about without having to figure out the process and logistics.
You may be afraid of the cost of hiring a lawyer. First of all, many lawyers will offer a free consultation to begin with tso that you know what you are getting yourself into. But also, think of it this way, the law can be complicated and if you do not have a lawyer, you may end up spending more than if you did! Can you really put a price on wrongful imprisonment because you couldn’t defend yourself properly? Or losing your children in a custody battle simply because you didn’t have the correct argument or you didn’t know your legal rights? Depending on the case, having legal advice can actually make you money and save you money.