If you’ve suffered injuries from a recent auto accident you weren’t at fault for, it’s smart to hire a personal injury lawyer. Most personal injury lawyers also double as auto accident lawyers. They are experienced in handling court litigation and out-of-court settlements to obtain just personal compensation for their clients.
Are you looking to know how to choose the right personal injury lawyer? There are a couple of steps you can take to select the right one for your case. First and foremost, seek an attorney for personal injuries. Such attorneys usually work at the best personal injury firms. This individual will be more knowledgeable about the laws that pertain to your situation. They also have the expertise and medical specialists to assist you in building a case and receiving treatment for your injuries. In addition, inquire about the attorney’s success rate. If they cannot produce it, they most likely do not have a high one.
A personal injury case can be a long road to a fair payout. This road will involve ups and downs, and you’ll want to feel confident in your interactions with your lawyer. You should select a personal injury lawyer with whom you get along. This implies that the attorney pays attention to you, responds to your questions, and explains stuff in a way you comprehend.
Car accidents are unfortunately extremely common, and it’s obvious that many people don’t hire an attorney for car accident-related claims. If fault is clear and the appropriate insurance company has agreed to a settlement that covers your expenses, then there’s no need to make the process more complicated than it already is. There are many times, however, when hiring a personal injury lawyer can significantly increase your chances of being treated fairly and getting the compensation you need to return to normal life. Here are five situations in which it’s wise to seek help from an attorney who focuses on auto-related personal injury law.
- If Liability Is Shared or Being DisputedIn most states, sharing some fault for an accident does not disqualify you from receiving a proportional settlement (this is called the principle of comparative negligence, as opposed to contributory negligence). However, it’s extremely useful to have a knowledgeable attorney on your side to ensure that you get the largest possible settlement.
- If You’re Getting Pushback on Medical BillsNot all personal injury cases have to go to court — in fact, the vast majority are settled through private negotiations. But regardless, you shouldn’t take no for an answer when it comes to getting your basic medical expenses reimbursed.
- If You Want to Seek General DamagesIt’s one thing to seek reimbursement for economic damages such as medical bills and lost wages. But if you want to seek general damages, the category that includes pain and suffering, then you’ll almost certainly want an attorney for car accident-related claims. Top law firms will often offer consultations to help you get an idea of whether your expectations for these types of damages are realistic.
- If You’ve Been Hit by a Commercial VehicleIf you’ve been involved in any sort of accident that involves a commercial vehicle, it’s imperative you consult with a trucking accident lawyer. This is because commercial accidents are often more complex due to shared ownership of the commercial vehicle and additional restrictions based on commercial drivers.
- If You Have Been Served With a LawsuitIf the other driver has threatened to sue you or has already served you with a lawsuit, then it’s time for you to seek legal counsel of your own. Unless the claim against you is clearly ridiculous, it will be very difficult to defend yourself against such a situation without legal knowledge that goes beyond that of a layperson.
When else might it be wise to hire an attorney for car accident-related concerns? Share your thoughts in the comments.